Thursday, March 6, 2014

Week 1 of Teaching



Teaching has been wonderful. However, the first day was quite nerve wrecking. It was all of the children's first day there as well. When it comes to teaching, there's no set way of teaching. Everyone teaches in his or her different style and comfort. So here I am trying to figure out the materials and school curriculum. I do exactly what the book is intended to do, but then I still have about 20 minutes left on the clock. What else is there to do? So I creatively come up with other ideas. I only have 1-2 classes per day since I'm new and the semester has just begun. I'm hoping to get a lot more students, but it's nice to have leisure time so I can soak everything in one at a time. There are teaching videos for me as well as shadowing the current English teacher, which is very nice!

I taught my second class of the week and there was only two students. These children are tested in the beginning before getting placed into different English levels. This student in particular was much too smart to be in the level she was placed compared to her other classmate. The Korean teachers are responsible for connecting with the student's parents. They make sure the students are comfortable and enjoy our school. The one student I just mentioned decided to go to a different school because the material was too easy for her. I felt a little devastated after hearing that. I would have at least wanted her to stay another class day. It's unfortunate, but I will do my part of teaching English as best as possible.

I asked the higher level English learners whether or not they enjoy learning English. They all nodded no. They said it is very hard. I'm sure! Learning a different language is very challenging. That's what I'm trying to do right now. I am determined to learn to speak, write, and read Korean. At least a little. I have a younger level English learners who know very little or no English at all. We first had to pick English names for them and boy was it a tough class to try and communicate with. Second day of class was much better. I played an ABC song, printed a few letter and words starting with A sheets, and did a super apple arts and craft. I want the students to feel comfortable.

Well, work has been quite enjoyable, but it's only the first week. Oh there is open class next month so I'm super nervous! I've been trying to figure out what types of activities I should do with the students in front of their parents. Please let me know if you have any ideas!

Anyo!

No comments:

Post a Comment