Sunday, March 16, 2014

It's Seoul awesome!

This weekend I decided to go to Seoul with my South African English coworker for the large international St. Patty's event. Seoul is about 2 hours away from where I live. What's not too convenient about my small town is the access to public transportation. I have to take a city bus to the next city, Jochiwon, which takes about 40 minutes. From there I took the Korail train straight to Seoul. It's not too bad, it's just not convenient and accessible. I don't mind it though. So I had debated whether or not I wanted to go since I knew a weekend in Seoul is not enough and I'd be spending a lot of money. I decided to go so I can learn how to use the public transportation with assistance from my coworker. So I was thankful to have tagged along with her and her friends. She's been here for 2 years so she knows the area quite a bit. 

It was my second time riding a train. I loved it! I felt like I was in the Polar Express. We got to the train station a bit later in Jochiwon so we had standing tickets, which is fine if you're not tired though it's uncomfortable because you have to stand 2 hours or sit on the hard floor. Luckily the ride back home we were able to get seats. I fell asleep right away from a long night out.

The subway transportation is great in Seoul and it's very very clean compared to New York and Chicago. I always tell myself I'm going to move to Toronto once I come back home. I want to believe it and make it happen =) Anyways totally off topic but the International St. Patty event made me feel back in America since there were so many foreigners and we were in the areas where there were just foreigners such as Itaewon. Itaewon is where one of the military bases are located--lots of shops, restaurants, and bars. I got to do a little bit of shopping. My perm is making my hair super dry so I went to Etude to find a hair conditioning mask. Everything in Korea is so cute--packaging, items, etc. you name it! 

It was a nice day this weekend with the sun beaming down. Last week was a bit gloomy and rainy. I'm excited to go running in this week's weather and see the town. I have yet to invest in a bike although I need to be extra careful with these crazy drivers. 

Overall, Seoul was fun. I just wish I had more time to sightsee but I'm sure I'll be able to do that when I take my parents out around the area so I might as well wait and not have to double see things. I can't wait to see my parents in September. I'm going to try and save money and purchase their tickets--hopefully on time before tickets start rising up. 



1 comment: