Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Greetings from Korea



Ann-yeong-hase-yo!

So today marks my fourth day in Korea. I feel like I've been here for a month already! People here are so very kind that they make me feel so at home. I love the Asian cultures. They're always so hospitable. 

I work for GnB English Academy. GnB stands for Global English and Bilingual Education. I have a great group of female co-workers! Not to mention my awesome director, Rachel whose mother makes the best homemade Korean food. I am the second English teacher. The first English teacher is from South Africa! Pretty neat just hearing about her culture and ways of living. I love talking to the Korean teachers! They give me so much insight about Korean culture. What I find so fascinating is the normal culture of plastic surgery. People talk so openly about it here in Korea. It's not cheap, but Korean females would do anything just to look "pretty". I'm not exactly sure how to define pretty, but maybe I should say they would do anything to look more like Western Caucasians? (bigger eyes, eyelids, higher cheekbones, whiter skin tone, jawline, and narrow nose)

It's still so hard to believe I'm in Korea. I feel like I'm in a different state teaching English to students. Speaking of students, I have 2-3 classes a day with a group of 2-9 students. GnB is a private school so it's like an after school program. It's nice that the school has a structured way of teaching that provide specific materials. Therefore, I don't have to make lesson plans every day. Instead, I can come up with creative ideas to incorporate with each lessons and materials. Each class is about 50-60 minutes long. I work 1:30-8:30 pm Mondays through Fridays. So it's not bad at all. Although my very first day at work consisted of a 12 hour shift because it was orientation day to promote GnB to parents to recruit and enroll their children.

My apartment is very small, but very normal living in Korea. It's perfect for me! It is a fully furnished studio apartment. Its got everything I need! I'll be sure to post photos of it when I have the chance. I live up in a hill in a town called "Chautemaul" which means "first village" in Sejong City. Sejong City, once known as Yeongi, is still developing so there are quite a few underconstruction places. I plan to visit a few other places around the area, but haven't gotten the chance to yet. I did get the chance to visit a near by mini market and of course 7-11! 7-11 has been my best friend since I've been traveling abroad. It has everything I need! I have yet to learn the bus routes here or better yet the transporation routes. I only know how to go to and from my work place. It takes about 5-10 minutes to get there. On the very first day, I got lost and had to walk 20 minutes to get there. Lol. The struggle is real, but people here are so willing to help you. I'm not afraid to ask and not look dumb. Some Koreans will see that your lost and volunteer to help you. Its been quite an amazing experience. Since I live in a smaller town not much of the locals speak English, but that's ok I hope to learn Korean. But it can get difficult because people speak two different number languages. The Sino(Chinese)-Korean number language or the Korean number language. I suppose I will have to learn both languages. Everytime I hear Koreans speak, I get so confused. It goes straight through my ears and out. It definitely will take some time. I hope to take a few lessons. If not by myself via youtube than personal lessons from someone.

I joined this Sejong Teacher group on Facebook and will be attending a get together for new teachers this saturday. I can't wait to meet other teachers near the area. And in two weeks I will be trying dog meat for the very first time! My Korean coworker will be taking me and the rest to hangout for her birthday. So dog-meat, nature observing, soju, and karoke/club day it is!

Well I think this caps my entire 4 days already. I will be sure to post again! I LOVE KOREA! hehe. 

PS
My coworkers gave me a Korean name 이사랑 or E Sarang which means love and E which is one of the most common Korean last name.

1 comment:

  1. NIKKI!!! I LOVE IT! I really want to see pictures of your apartment in SK. And maybe your daily commute? Well, I really want to see everything. Haha. Living vicariously through you, you go-getter!

    Your name is so wonderful.: ) You truly exhibit Love, and joy in all its forms. I'm so happy you're writing about your time. I can't wait to hear more. Thank you for sharing!!!

    <3

    ReplyDelete