Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Teaching Abroad in South Korea Questions

So I've been getting a lot questions about teaching abroad in South Korea. I thought I'd dedicate this blog to all of those common questions being asked and how to go about going the right direction. It took me a very long time because I did a lot of research on my own so I know I would have wished to come upon a blog similar to what I will be writing today.

A few requirements you may need before further reading. You will definitely have to have a 4 year degree and you may need a TESOL/TEFL certificate (depending on the program you apply).

First, think about why you want to teach abroad and how it will benefit you. Don't just go because you want to travel and because it pays good money. You may want to ask yourself:

  1. What is it that I'm going to get out of this experience?
  2. What do I want to do with my future?
  3. Will I be able to adjust to an entirely new environment and culture?
  4. Am I comfortable enough to teach (if you have little teaching experience)?
  5. Can I be away from home as long as a year?
  6. What are the pros and cons?
After asking yourself these questions be sure that you know what you're getting yourself into. If your answers lean towards going then great! You will need to fully commit because these paperwork you have to get done are not free, they cost a lot of money! 

First, you're going to need to get 7 important documents/paperwork done. I found this link exceptionally helpful. http://marshalljonesjr.com/paperwork-for-south-korea-7-things-youll-need-to-teach-english/

NOTE: This was written in 2011, things may have changed. So do research on your end especially because different states require different ways of processing documents.

I highly suggest to get these paperwork done before even applying. You will have to wait regardless if you apply. Recruiters and programs like to see that you have gotten all of your paperwork done before moving forth. The waiting process will take the longest for the paperworks, so starting soon is a good idea! So the most important documents would be to:
  1. Get passport if you don't already have one
  2. Apostilled degree and FBI background (which takes THE longest!)
  3. Resume and cover letter (EPIK and GEPIK asks for 2 letters of recommendation)
  4. May need 2 transcripts
  5. Definitely need at least 6-10 copise of photo passport (make sure to bring with you to Korea)
During this process you can begin applying for programs. The best times to apply are July-August or January-February since school begins in September and March. There are quite a few programs such as, EPIK, GEPIK, TALK, teachESLkorea, etc. Most of which are through public schools. There are also recruiters that can help guide you through the document processes and finds either public or private schools such as ESLjoblink, TJrecruiting, etc. The EPIK AND GEPIK programs will ask for you to have a TESOL/TEFL certificate to teach in public schools. These certificates can cost anywhere from $500-2000. I've had previous teaching experience so I decided not to get my certificate, but didn't get into EPIK OR GEPIK because of it so I went through a recruiter instead who was exceptionally helpful. 

So you can decide whether or not public or private school works best for you. Everyone has their own opinions between the two so I will let you do the research on this part. Personally, I currently work for a hagwon (private sector) and I love it! I love the small class size because teaching English is hard for these children to learn so having that intimate one-on-one interaction helps with the less intimidation for them and as a teacher. 

Once you've gotten to this point and someone has gotten back to you about getting an interview with the director of the school then you're set to go! The interviews are quite easy. They pretty much interview you to see if you speak English well. If you get the go card make sure to look over the contract thoroughly and see if the benefits are within your range. Most basic contracts will have a severance pay of a month pay, 1-year commitment, 50% health insurance, 2.1 million won (for non experienced teachers or 4 year degree), free fully furnished single studio/bed apartment, purchased airfare to and from Korea, and 10-14 days of paid vacation includes sick leave. These are the basics so if your contracts lies somewhere along these lines, it should be ok. 

The application process will definitely take longer than the arrival process. Once you get the go card you will be shipped off straight to Korea as soon as possible. Here is a few important things you should take with you:

  1. Passport
  2. 2 extra passport photos
  3. $700-1000 
  4. 1 month worth of necessities 
    1. shampoo, conditioner
    2. body lotion, body wash
    3. favorite brand name make-up (for girls) - NOTE: american brands are expensive, remember this is an island
    4. nail clipper, q-tips, deodorant (it's hard to find these)
    5. women products (tampons are hard to find)
    6. contacts, contact solution
    7. toothpaste, toothbrush
  5. Appropriate working clothes
  6. Laptop, converter (not adapter), chargers
  7. All 4 season clothing (if you're bigger or taller you may need to bring your sized clothings because Korea has very small sizes in shoes, lingerie, and clothing) 
  8. Backpack if you know you're going to travel to other places
So you're probably going to be broke the first few months due to settling in and purchasing things you may need for your new apartment and other things. So you want to make sure you have a months worth of things so you don't have to go out and purchase them. Pack it all, but also pack smart. Don't go past the weight limit of 75 lbs!

Once you arrive to Korea, you will need to get your health tested which will cost 100,000 wons. Your director will help you. It takes about a week to get your results back. Once you get it back, you can register for your alien registration card (30,000 wons). Both the health test and alien card require passport photos. You need an alien registration card in order to get a cell phone and open a bank account. 

WELCOME TO KOREA! 

I will post more links and helpful tips for newcoming and interested English teachers =D I hope this helps and I'm glad people are asking away!




2 comments:

  1. Hey, I found your page on teaching english in South Korea very helpful, what program are you teaching english through? I'm just curious, and I don't know what program to apply for. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my! I'm so sorry. I just finally saw your post. I went through a recruiter called TJ recruiting through Teach Korea. I'm glad it was very helpful =) I'm working at a private after school program. Let me know if you have any other questions.

      Delete