Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Happy Wednesday

CAUSE I'M HAPPY!! #nowplaying #pharell #happy #song

"In the world through which I travel, I am endlessly creating myself."

Alright enough hashtagging. What a wonderful week or month it has been! The start of May was a little rough since I started receiving more students and classes. Not only that, parents were calling complaining about every little thing, and we were losing quite a bit of students. I'm not sure what the deal was, but a lot of the middle school students were busy studying for his or her public school English tests. In the beginning of May, I was also working over time on the weekend and after work since we incorporated presentations, and simply because I was beat on so many final speaking tests to grade.

I now keep a thorough weekly lesson plan for each of my classes, and review constantly. I, especially, review heavily for the little kindergartners. I've also incorporated more debate and casual speaking activities for my older kids so it's not too focused on just lecturing and bookwork. Instead it's a variety of both bookwork and interactive activities. I'm slowly adjusting to each of my classes and being an English teacher though I'd much prefer myself as a tutor than a teacher. The role as a teacher in Korea is highly respected which I definitely admire. I mean it should be that way anyhow? Ha ha, I suppose I a lot more respected? I don't know.

Wednesdays and Fridays are my longest days! However, I enjoy them very much! The students are great and my teaching skills are slowly increasing or should I say I'm getting into a better routine? Let's say I enjoy all of my classes! I really can't wait to see the improvements of my children learning English! It will take time, but I have confidence that I am doing a well enough job (hopefully better in the future) to help my kids learn English. Boy is English hard. Like I said before, there are English grammars that I never once had to think about too much until now. I'm also learning along the way (from culture, language, my kids, boss, everything!!). It has been almost 3 months and I have learned so much already.

One thing I fear the most about going back home is coming back to the "job/career hunting" phase. Sigh. I'm trying to keep up with the other side of the world and keep my American head up as I'm kind of trying to learn Korean culture. It's quite difficult, but it's going to be a challenge. Learning Korean hasn't been too great. Ahhhh, well I'm trying to make the best out of what I have within this one year of teaching. So far it has been nothing but amazing. Yes, there are its ups and downs, but I've found counting my blessings a lot more than complaining. Although I do find me and my coworker complaining about work sometimes. Ha ha. It's normal right?

Stay happy, inspired, and driven =)

No comments:

Post a Comment